Role of the Systems Engineer
The role of the Systems Engineer is to be a key technical contributor to the design, development and implementation of complex systems. You will be responsible for applying the systems engineering process, ensuring the delivery of high quality and innovative technological solutions by ensuring successful integration of cross-discipline engineering functions.
Reporting to the Systems Engineering Manager, you will collaborate with cross-functional teams and stakeholders to drive excellence, efficiency and continuous improvement in our engineering practices. The role will require direct interaction with customers, suppliers and other stakeholders, requiring strong relationship building capabilities.
Key Responsibilities (includes, but not limited to the following):
• Collaborate with stakeholders, including product manager, cross-functional teams and customers, to understand engineering requirements and translate them into actionable engineering tasks.
• Work with software, electrical, electronics and mechanical engineering disciplines to design, analyse and optimise system components and interactions, applying systems engineering principles and methodologies to drive excellence in clean energy system design.
• Contribute to the development and documentation of system architecture, requirements, specifications and interface control documents.
• Assist with adherence to relevant industry standards, safety regulations and quality assurance processes.
• Participate in system level-testing, verification and validation activities to ensure compliance with requirements and standards.
• Support troubleshooting efforts and assist with resolving technical issues, providing innovative solutions to complex engineering challenges.
• Contribute to engineering studies, pre-FEED and FEED scopes for early stage client projects.
• Participate in lessons learned meetings, design reviews and technical committee reviews as necessary.
• Collaborate with senior engineers and team members to learn more and grow in the field of systems engineering.
• Stay updated with emerging trends, technologies, and advancements in relevant engineering areas and provide recommendations for their implementation.
• Support business development initiatives as required, including creation of bid documentation to ensure commercial success.
• Passionate about the energy transition.
• Self-starter, with blue-sky thinking and critical analysis capabilities.
• Problem-solving and decision-making abilities with a focus on delivering high-quality solutions.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to work with a range of stakeholders.
• Ability to prioritise key tasks and solve problems autonomously.
• Demonstrate leadership and a personal commitment to Quality, Health, Safety and the Environment.
• Apply Verlume’s, and where appropriate Client Company’s or venue’s, Quality, Health, Safety & Environment Policies and Safety Management Systems.
• Promote a culture of continuous improvement, and lead by example to ensure company goals are achieved and exceeded.
Our Core Values are the Four I’s
All employees shall demonstrate, internally and externally, Verlume’s Core Values:
IMPACTFUL – Focused, accountable, delivering on safety & quality.
INTEGRITY – Honest and respectful.
INNOVATION – Innovative mindset enjoying the challenge.
IMPROVEMENT – Improve and grow every day.
What we Offer:
• An opportunity to lead and contribute to the development of innovative technologies.
• A collaborative and inclusive work environment that values teamwork and professional growth.
• Competitive salary and benefits package.
• Opportunities for training, professional development and attending industry conferences.
Qualifications, Education & Experience:
• Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Engineering (or related discipline) or a combination of alternative qualifications and experience.
• Minimum 3 – 5 years relevant industry experience role in one of the following industries: energy, manufacturing, marine, offshore wind or utilities..
• Technical background, ideally in subsea engineering or battery systems, with knowledge of systems engineering principles, methodologies and practices.
• Experience in system modelling, simulation, and analysis using relevant tools and techniques.
• Familiarity with relevant industry codes and standards.
• Valid passport and UK driving licence.
Preferred, but not essential:
• Familiarity with industry standards and frameworks such as ISO 15288, INCOSE, or CMMI.
• Working towards (or achieved) Chartered or Incorporated engineer status with INCOSE or similar accreditation body.
• Proven experience in similar role, or engineering role in related discipline.